Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Electronic Class 10/17, part 2

I want to present another view of commas based on authors Biays and Wershoven's book, Along These Lines. Deadline is 8pm 10/17.

COMMAS in Four Categories:

Listers used to create a list.
I am drinking coffee, typing on my laptop, listening to music, and wanting a cookie.

Linkers used with a coordinating conjunction to link independent clauses. Remember the coordinating conjunctions with FANBOYS: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so.
We are in class, but we are not in the class room.
This is my first independent clause, and this is my second independent clause.

Introducers used after an introductory word, phrase, or clause.
Yikes, I better start my quiz.
While on my way to class, I saw lots of cars.
After I teach class, I will go home and go to sleep.

Interrupters used most often in pair when inserting a word or phrase within an independent clause.
This, however, is the fourth comma category.
Tinker Bell, who is a bunny, likes to hop.

Try this self grading exercise and email the results to me.

No comments: