Tuesday, December 4, 2007

subordination in sentences

Creating sentence variety allows you to maintain reader interest and to communicate the relationships between ideas.

Please read this link at Temple. We have discussed coordination in class, and this link explains how subordination and coordination work together: Cal State.

REMEMBER, there are four basic sentence structures: simple, compound, complex, and compound complex. Ottawa has a good discussion of the first three structures, the ones we've discussed in class.

Which of the links is the most helpful to you as a writer? Why? (No need for a full paragraph, but do play with sentence structures in your response.)

6 comments:

Abby B. said...

The Ottawa link helped me the most. This link showed many examples of compound sentences. Two different sentences can be put together as one with linking words. This link was helpful and descriptive.

Suzanne M. said...

Yes, that one is nice in how it shows both compound and complex sentences. Remember, compound sentences use coordination to express equal relationships between ideas. Complex sentences use subordination to express unequal relationships between ideas.

Ryan Byrnes said...

the cal link helped me most becouse it showed me diferent examples for word choices and linking words. it was very discriptive.

Jaime said...

The link that you provided us with from the Ottwa site has helped me a lot. It is funny that you gave us that link because it has been bookmarked on my desktop pc for the last few months. I frequently use that site. It has help me develop my sentence structure.

Stephanie said...

I really liked the Ottawa one it broke down the differnt types of sentences. It was very discriptive and I will use this like in the future for writing.

Nicole's Blog said...

I really liked the Ottawa link it really help me better understand the sentences. The site was helpful and very descriptive on what it was describing.